Saturday, December 17, 2011

O is for Ode to the Preschoolers

Did you know the average preschooler asks 437 questions a day?


Did you know the average Kelsey says "No thank you!" an average of 829 times a day? (No thank you, is our nice version of "What the hell are you doing??" or "STOP IT.")


Though my career as an assistant preschool teacher was short-lived, it was a good experience that let me bond with some children, learn a little bit about how I would and would not parent my future kids, and get some insight into early childhood education. 


I never realized how I would get attached to the kids so quickly, or that I would get the opportunity to intern for the Seattle Aquarium the very first time I interviewed for it. It left me in a tough situation. I do not pride myself in leaving jobs after only 4 months, but I would be crazy not to. My boss did not seem to agree that this was such a great thing for my career, but you can't please em all. I will always try to live my life for what is best for me, and though that may sound selfish, I feel like there is no other way if you truly want to be happy. 


So here is a collection of my favorite quotes from my little buddies at Little Acorn.  May you read them and get a laugh at the innocent, unfiltered language of 3 year olds.


"Are you a good pole dancer??" A very enthusiastic question asked in reference to his favorite America's Got Talent act, an acrobat who did flips and tricks like a monkey between two large poles.


After staring for a good 5 seconds at my chest area...."I've got little titties!"


"I've been watchin' a whole lot of Star Wars. My favorite character is Astrodoodle."


I gave a worried look to a little boy after he did an uncomfortable, almost painful looking dance down the hallway, without having to say anything to him, he replied, "Don't worry Miss Kelsey, I'm just fixin my weewee." 


I asked one little guy what he was asking Santa for as a Christmas gift. He told me ever-so nonchalantly, "money." And when I asked what he would buy with it? "More money." Ah, an entrepreneur's early start. 


Finally, my most recent and favorite conversation with the most hilarious, feisty, 3 year old girl.
"You know who said a bad word?" No, who?
"Somebody said a bad word." What did they say?
"Somebody said something." Well you can tell me. 
So she she leans down very close to my face like she is going to whisper in my ear....
"DAMNIT!"
"My daddy says that." Oh! Well I am glad you don't say that.
"No I just whisper it to myself so I don't get in trouble."


Some of these kids I wish I could carry around in my pocket for the conversations and entertainment. Even when don't listen, or tell me I look like a boy when I wear my glasses, they always would find a way to put a smile on my face. Preschoolers are sometimes a very good solution to a crummy mood. Emphasis on the sometimes. 


I will hopefully get the chance to sub for the school, and get to see my little buddies soon. I made sure they all knew where to find me at the aquarium. 


Until next time....


Cheers,


KLM

No comments:

Post a Comment