Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Things you learn about people

friend  \'frend\ noun

1: one attached to another by affection or esteem
2: one that is not hostile
3: one that favors or promotes something (as a charity)
4: a favored companion
5 capitalized : a member of a Christian sect that stresses Inner Light, rejects sacraments and an ordained ministry, and opposes war —called also Quaker
 
The dictionary makes it sound so simple (with the exception of that Quaker thing). Friends like each other. Yet, this word has become far more complex to me in recent years than I could have ever predicted.
 
I have probably hinted before that moving to Seattle was a difficult transition for me, not because of the location, but because of the people. They are a different breed up here. I won't waste too much time explaining, however there is a stark contrast between the welcoming, wave-at-passersby Midwest, and the "Seattle Freeze" of the Northwest. (That's really a term, Google it!) Perhaps I had taken it for granted back home, but kindness from strangers, now, sadly, takes me by surprise. Don't get me wrong, this is a beautiful part of the country I am lucky to reside in, but there are trade-offs.
 
Throughout my life I have had many friends, twice as many acquaintances, with only a few being specially close to me. That is how I like it, but even then, sometimes ya get burned. Close high school friends fell out of the loop when I went to a college that wasn't KU or KSU *GASP! SHOCK! OH NO SHE DIDN'T* College and grad school friends seemed too inconvenienced to chat when I moved to work 1.5 hours away. And you can guess what moving to the opposite end of the country would do. But this blog is not about the people who dropped out of my life because of petty mileage. It is for the ones who love me enough to pick up the phone every once in a while.
 
Thank you. To those of you who opened your schedules and your home to me while I visited this weekend, thank you! The ones who send a text, or call just to say hello, thank you! My amazing husband surrounded himself with some equally amazing people throughout his life, most of whom have adopted me into their circle, thank you! Anybody who is as energetic and passionate about my goals, marriage and daily-going-ons as I am, thank you! And for the few of you here in Washington that I trust and adore, thank you for reminding me that kind people still exist in the PacNW.
 
I have made it a daily goal to try to encourage the hearts and minds of people I deem true friends, and it is refreshing and inspiring to have that reciprocated. RainyCat and I spend a lot of time bein' independent ladies, but it is nice to have others to lean on, even if they aren't right down the street.
 
So here's my message for those of you who do have many friends who are close in proximity to you: It is A GIFT to have good friends that live in the same town! Cherish your favored companions.
 
Some day we will settle down in the countryside of Stillwater, Oklahoma with all of our comrades as our next door neighbors, but until then, thank you to you guys who make me feel like I am right there with ya, in your hearts, when I can't be by your side.
 
Cheers,
 
KB 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment