Sunday, October 30, 2011

Favoritos de Octubre

Here we are again. The end of another month!! Technically, Andrew should be done with his first 60 days in Manas. Unfortch, as is with the military, it'll be about 70 days before he actually gets home. But that is soon! And I absolutely cannot wait! I am only working till Thursday in anticipation of his return. We plan on taking a celebratory trip to Victoria, Canada for the weekend after he gets back, again, cannot wait! I've never been to Canada so it'll be great to put my passport to good use.

Besides getting more excited every day for AB's return, I started volunteering for the aquarium every Saturday. I only have one shift under my belt but it was fun! As "interpreters" we stand by exhibits to answer questions, encourage "touching the animals gently with one finger" at the touch pools, and generally just talk with visitors. The Seattle Aquarium is great because they treat volunteers just like staff, and understand that donating our time is such a wonderful gift we are giving. I am proud to be apart of it! And it is definitely a great place to make contacts in the aquarium world :)

Here are my favorite things for the month of October!

  • All things fall. This one was a favorite last month too, but I already had a long list. Look at how our apartment has transformed!


 
Navy pumpkins monogrammed with thumbtacks :) Wheat filled wine bottle :) Kitchen sticks and leaves :) I was going to spray paint the sticks but I liked the more rustic look. (P.S. Don't ya love our cabinets!?)
  • Ann Taylor Loft shopping!! Oh gracious. I love everything at this store which may or may not be a good thing. Its great because it's quality stuff, it's bad because my pay checks are only so big! No worries I'm good at budgeting, and am slowly building a wardrobe I love, not purchasing it all at once. So family who reads this blog: Now you know what gift cards are FABULOUSSSS presents! ;)
  • Shopping in the kids' section oooo yeaaaa! Look at my new bright red trench coat! Courtesy of the little girls section at Target! One reason I'm thankful for being so short, it saves me money sometimes! That picture also highlights the magnificent scarf my best Megan SEWED me. Yea that's right people, she knows how to sew now, watch.out! Which leads me to my next favorite......
  • SCARVES! After Meg's kept me so warm in cozy (I am trying to hold off on the heater until December) I decided scarves look super cute AND they keep you warm. My next purchase will be a big knitted one like the picture. Can't wait!
  • My last minute Halloween outfit for preschool. I spent $5 on a red t-shirt and made the rest. I am, if you didn't get it, an Angry Bird! (It's a game you play on your phone G-Unit) Kids in our class love all things Angry Birds, so I can't wait to see their reaction tomorrow on Halloween! And finally.......
  • I GOT THE AQUARIUM INTERNSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes that's right. The internship I talked about wanting in my very first blog ever, I have gotten the position! In January, my "volunteer" status will be changed to "intern!" I am so grateful for all the prayers and support I have gotten from those around me. For 10 or so weeks I will be cleaning, feeding, training, and doing whatever they tell me to, with the mammals and birds (ya....birds) of the aquarium. That means I'll be the closest EVER to seals and otters, and birds. Dreams really do come true! The internship will be the foundation of knowledge and skills that I need to become a biologist in a zoo or aquarium, so cheers to starting the rest-of-my-life career path!
I learned about my acceptance into the intern position AND Andrew is almost home AND I am taking time off work to go on a trip with him. Life is truly wonderful right now and I feel so BLESSED! Until next time...

Cheers,
KLM

2 comments:

  1. lol....I hate to say it, but as soon as I read "doing whatever they tell me to, with the mammals and BIRDS" I started to laugh and covered my face with my hands. You poor thing! How are you going to manage?? Are you going to try and hide your fear of the winged animals?

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATULATIONS on the internship!! That's so exciting! I can't wait to come visit and get a tour of the aquarium AND see your cute apartment. We should really get on planning a visit!

    ReplyDelete